Safe and effective for both children and adults, laser dentistry can be a great option for patients who are nervous when it comes to numbness, needles, and drilling. As one of dentistry’s latest advances, laser dentistry allows dentists to precisely target the area needing treatment (enamel, tooth decay, gum tissue, or whitening enhancers). By carefully calibrating the light wavelengths of the laser, Dr. Adkins can achieve precise results.
Laser dentistry is often more comfortable for patients. There is often no need for local anesthesia. There is also no heat or vibration, as there is with a dental drill. Finally, no suturing is needed for soft tissue (surgical) procedures, which helps patients heal faster.
Lastly, laser dentistry can diagnose cavities at a very early stage. Sometimes, it’s even possible to reverse cavity development at this stage using proper hygiene and fluoride treatment. Further treatment can thus be avoided.
Here are just a few of the areas where laser dentistry can assist patients:
- Canker sore (aphthous ulcer) treatment
- Curing (hardening) bonding materials
- Diagnosis and removal of cavities
- Gum corrections such as crown lengthening, gingivectomy, and more
- Gum-related (periodontal) care
- Pediatric procedures
- Root canals and apicoectomies
- Teeth whitening
- Tongue-tie release (frenectomy) without anesthesia or sutures